I'm taking a Children's Lit course this fall, and I plan to write about some of the books we read along the way. Right now I'm reading ahead a bit to get a start on the semester.
The first book I read for class was Laurie Halse Anderson's Fever 1793. The book is targeted to middle schoolers but I highly recommend this book even for adults. Fever 1793 is a quick read but with lots of substance. The characters are well-developed, especially the main character, 14 year old Matilda Cook (Mattie). Fever 1793 is a coming of age story about how Mattie faces adversity when faced with the tragic yellow fever epidemic in Philadelphia in 1793. Anderson paints a vivid picture of the politics and society in 1793, and the perpetual struggle of mankind to help one another survive in the face of disaster.
On a personal note, Fever 1793 reminded me that the struggle and adversity that you face in life makes you stronger and shapes the person you become.
Two Thousand Years of “The Odyssey” at the Library
23 hours ago
No comments:
Post a Comment